A monthly column by Talisha Harrison aka Tali Adina
Welcome back to another Character Spotlight! Character Spotlight highlights characters from the comic book, animated, and TV Sci-fi, fantasy, adventure genres each month. This month’s spotlight falls on:
The Ghost of Sparta
Kratos is a video game character from the God of War series, which is loosely based on Greek mythology.
Here’s a few things that you need to know about this character:
- Kratos has a scar across the right eye which was the result of a childhood encounter with the Olympian god Ares.
- The large red tattoo which begins at the left eye and ends at the left shoulder, is a tribute to his dead brother Deimos, who had similar birth markings.
- Kratos’ skin is white due to being curse by a village oracle after being tricked by Ares into killing his wife and daughter. He was condemned him to wear the “mark of his terrible deed”; the ashes of his family which is why he’s called the “Ghost of Sparta.”
- Kratos becomes the god of war after killing Ares.
- A six issue comic book series titled God of War, written by Marv Wolfman with art by Andrea Sorrentino, was released by Wildstorm between March 2010 and January 2011.
- According to an early God of War script, the character is 6 feet 6 inches (1.98 m) to 6 feet 7 inches (2.01 m).
- Kratos has appeared in at least six video games outside the God of War series.
- A live-action film has been developing since 2005 about Kratos.
So there you go folks! Stayed tuned next month for another Character Spotlight.