The TALKING COMICS Review Round-Up
Every week, the Talking Comics collective posts a mega-list of the comics they’re most excited to pull off the shelves that week. Check back here to see if the comics on the Pull List met the team’s expectations with reviews and quippy quotables!!! Click the links to go to full reviews and reflections!!!
Also, check out our weekly Favorite Comic Book Covers of the Week column for more coverage of last week’s new books!
Also also, our very own Bobby Shortle is keeping an updated weekly ranking of every new DC Rebirth book!!! Check it out!!!
Also also also, WRITE FOR TALKING COMICS!!! Apply now!!!
DARK HORSE COMICS
Ladykiller 2 #1 – By Joelle Jones
- BUY!! Nary a soul to whom I recommended the first Ladykiller series has been anything but over-the-moon about its charms, and based on this first issue, this new mini-series is another winner–just like it says here , in a piece by this cranky oldster–>Bob
Harley Quinn #1 – By Amanda Conner & Jimmy Palmiotti and Chad Hardin & Alex Sinclair
- Wait and see. Harley Quinn #1 spends a lot of time (and A LOT of words) recapping and revisiting characters and storylines from the last volume (by the same writers) that just ended a few weeks ago. Even the “forward” action here isn’t necessarily intriguing. Nevertheless, the team has a great track record with this character, so I’m willing to give Harley Quinn the benefit of the doubt. Maybe another issue or two. – Joey
Nightwing #2 – By Tim Seeley & Javier Fernandez
- Buy. Nightwing has been one of the more enjoyable titles in the Rebirth line so far, thanks to Tim Seeley’s writing and the stellar rotating art team. While I still think Dick’s new partner/trainer isn’t quite making the impact he should be, the stuff that is happening with the Parliament of Owls continues to be interesting and worth investing in this title each time it comes out. –John D.
Suicide Squad REBIRTH – By Rob Williams & Phillip Tan
- Wait and See. It’s hard to resist a new Suicide Squad book when it’s being released the same week as the high-profile movie, but this Rebirth issue isn’t a necessary read for anyone that already has cursory knowledge of the team also known as Task Force X. New readers might find a bit more reason to buy, but without the team even being fully assembled at the end of it all, it still feels like the next issue is the one to really sink your teeth into. –John D.
[Editor’s Note: Check out John’s full length review of SUICIDE SQUAD REBIRTH here!!!]
Kill or Be Killed #1 – By Ed Brubaker & Sean Phillips
- BUY. The dream team behind Fatale and The Fade Out take us crashing into the 21st Century with the painfully relevant, brutally violent KILL or be KILLED. Brubaker’s tormented narration, Phillips’ moody naturalism, Breitweiser’s stark color palette—the first issue of this brand new series from Image is an absolute master class in crime comics storytelling. Check it. – Joey
[Editor’s Note: Check out Joey’s full review of the first issue of this “killer” new series HERE!!!]
And that’s our Pull List for this week!!! If you happen to pick up any of these books, please join the conversation here or on twitter and let us know what you think! As we update the site with reviews and verdicts on these comics, we’d love to include your input!