The TALKING COMICS PULL LIST
Every Wednesday, the Talking Comics collective will post a mega-list of the comics they’re most excited to pull off the shelves that week. With the wide range of personal tastes on our staff here, you know there’s bound to be something worth sampling come New Comic Book Day!!!
Then, check back here on Sunday to see if the comics on the Pull List met the team’s expectations with reviews and quippy quotables!!!
New Comic Book Day – June 29th, 2016
This week’s contributors:
- Huw Parry (@H_paz)
- Kelsey Hlavaty (@kelssamus)
- Steve Seigh (@dead_anchoress)
- Bob Reyer (email@example.com)
And lovingly edited by Joey Braccino (@joeybraccino)
Rocketeer at War #4 – By Marc Guggenheim & Dave Bullock
- This is the finale to this fun mini-series, and with an aerial battle looming between Cliff Secord and his Nazi counterpart, this issue should be a doozy!–Bob
Black Panther #3 – By Ta-Nehisi Coates & Brian Stelfreeze
- This book has quickly moved up the ranks on my pull list, and it would appear I’m not alone: Black Panther has become one of Marvel’s most high-profile books, earning monthly videos from the creators, think pieces, reflective articles with each new issue. The slow burn of Coates and Stelfreeze’s year-long arc warrants multiple readings of each issue, and I’m excited to see what goes down in #3!!! – Joey
Captain America: Steve Rogers #2 – By Nick Spencer & Jesus Saiz
- The furor around the first issue was hard to ignore and sadly for all the wrong reasons due to the way people reacted. I mean, it’s just a comic, it’s not like your country just voted out of the EU or anything, right?! Anyhoo, I’ve read that this issue will clear things up and explain to us exactly what’s going on and I have a feeling it’ll probably allay the fears of many. I’ll be reading this mainly because I’m incredibly curious, hopefully this’ll turn into a Cap being traditional Cap type book soon so I can read it for good reasons! – Huw
- I had mixed feelings about the first issue – but I’m still willing to give the second issue a chance. I’m hoping they expand more on what led Steve to become a Hydra sleeper agent. Like Huw, I am just SO damn curious about where this storyline is heading and watching how it affects the Marvel Universe. – Kelsey
- Whilst I applaud you folk’s perseverance (and willingness to forgive!), I’m already out, having dropped Captain America (and for a second time in just a few years!) after 50 years of collecting. Are you both saying that I should be peeking at this book in the store while the owner of my LCS has his back turned?–Bob
Spider-Gwen Annual #1 – By Jason Latour & Chris Brunner
- Marvel’s solicitation promises that story points important to the next year’s worth of Spider-Gwen will be introduced in this very issue–and they wouldn’t lie, would they?–Bob
Spider-Man #5 – By Brian Michael Bendis & Sara Pichelli
- The last issue of this book left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, with Ganke doing something that was incredibly selfish and out of character for him. I really don’t want to see a character I love turn into one whose actions I dislike. It’s been an up and down start for this title in my eyes, I’m waiting for it to really take off. No time like the present! – Huw
- I have nothing else to contribute other than completely agreeing with Huw. The comic’s been off to a slow start but I REALLY hope it picks up! I love Miles Morales, let’s give him some action. He’s finally an Avenger for crying out loud! -Kelsey
4 Kids Walk Into a Bank #2 (Black Mask Studios) – By Matthew Rosenberg & Tyler Boss
- I feel like it’s been forever since we talked about the first issue of this comic series, but that’s not going to deter me from diving right back in to see how the continues. In a week with very few titles on my personal pull-list, I’m very happy to see that 4 Kids will once again be gracing the stands.
Jade Street Protection Services #1 (Black Mask Studios) – By Katy Rex & Fabian Lelay
- It’s always a cause for celebration when one of your friends gets to live their dream by creating comics. This week, Katy Rex is stepping out alongside Fabian Lelay to present this brand-new title from Black Mask Studios. Personally, I’ve avoided all plot-related information so as to go into this experience completely blind and fresh. I know for a fact that Katy has been working her ass off for the past few years in preparation to make her comic book creator debut and I couldn’t be more proud of her effort and dedication to the medium. This isn’t just another comic book release, it’s a celebration, and I will be paying very close attention to each and every page. – Steve
And that’s our Pull List for this week!!! If you happen to pick up any of these books, please join the conversation here or on twitter and let us know what you think! As we update the site with reviews and verdicts on these comics, we’d love to include your input!