The TALKING COMICS PULL LIST
Every Wednesday, the Talking Comics collective will post a mega-list of the comics they’re most excited to pull off the shelves that week. With the wide range of personal tastes on our staff here, you know there’s bound to be something worth sampling come New Comic Book Day!!!
Then, check back here on Thursday and Friday to see if the comics on the Pull List met the team’s expectations with reviews and quippy quotables!!!
New Comic Book Day – June 8th, 2016
Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy #1 – Written by Chynna Clugston-Flores, Art by Rosemary Valero-O’Connell & Mingjue Chen
- The event I have been waiting for is finally here!!!! Super excited about this one guys, if you couldn’t tell. The Gotham Academy and Lumberjane kids are brought together by some sort of supernatural activity (AND MIRACLES). Apart from this, having Lumberjanes incorporated into a DC Universe (or vice versa…?) is SUPER important because the Lumberjane girls represent all different types of women: queer women, mixed-race women and trans women, just to name a few. The story will apparently have the two groups battling the supernatural and normal teen stuff. I wish I had something as empowering when I was growing up and it’s amazing to see BOOM and DC crossing over for what will be an incredible series! – Kelsey
Detective Comics #934 – Written by James Tynion IV, Art by Eddy Barrows & Eben Ferreira
- Detective Comics feels like it’s in good hands, not only with James Tynion IV taking over writing duties but with the book now focusing on a team that includes Batman, Batwoman, Spoiler, Cassie Cain, and…Clayface. Okay, that last one is a bit of a head-scratcher but part of me wants to read this book to find out how this team comes to be leaping around Gotham. Also what kind of missions will this team take on? Can they even trust Clayface? I must know these answers! –John D.
- As John said, James Tynion IV is a natural fit on anything to do with Batman. After cutting his teeth on the character with the guidance of Scott Snyder and breaking out on his own since then, I’m a big fan of him no matter what he’s writing. I’m really excited to see how this book shapes up and just how Clayface fits into the mix on Batman’s new team. Fingers crossed we see a return to the more cerebral, investigatory side of this title after it being rather hit and miss during the New 52 era. I do really miss and out and out Batman where he’s ‘The Detective.’ – Huw
- Would you look at that character lineup! My hope is, that with such a promising and complimentary cast of characters, that James Tynion IV and his team will continue to make this a Bat-related series worth collecting. – Steve
The Flash Rebirth #1, By Joshua Williamson, Art by Carmine Di Giadomenico & Ivan Plascencia
- The Flash is one of those books I missed out on in the New 52 and deeply regretted. It’s a character I’ve wanted to get into for a while now and with the show being as good as it is, my interest in reading the character has never been higher. Lo and behold, there’s a starting point for me this week. How new reader friendly this first issue will be remains a mystery as I know there’s been a lot happening with the Speedsters of DC, especially as some come back into existence after an extended absence. Hopefully this issue will ease me into that world rather than throwing me in at full speed. –John D.
- I’m hoping my basic knowledge of The Flash’s recent history can get me by with this book as I really want to enjoy it. He’s a character I’ve always liked but never taken the plunge, so now’s the time! With Joshua Williamson taking over the book, I’m quietly confident this’ll be a fun book with plenty of his trademark imagination on show. – Huw
- Another of my most anticipated Rebirth titles! I’ve been a BIG fan of Joshua Williamson for a number of years, and I’m very excited to see what he’ll get up to while penning a superhero like The Flash. It’s been ages since I last picked up a Flash comic, and I’m hoping that Willamson and his team will give me enough reason to make it a long-standing addition to my pull list. – Steve
Wonder Woman Rebirth #1 – Written by Greg Rucka, Art by Paolo Sicaira & Liam Sharpe
- This is the book I’ve been waiting for since the Rebirth titles were announced and it’s finally here. If you haven’t already looked at some early art from Liam Sharpe for this series, treat your eyeballs to that Google search. Not to mention Greg Rucka is returning to writing the character, so you know it’s going to be quality across the board. I know this sounds like famous last words but I can literally see no way this book isn’t amazing. –John D.
- Like John, I’ve been extremely excited for Wonder Woman. I just know that Greg Rucka will make a great return writing this character. To be honest, I was worried about the Rebirth as a whole, but I quickly changed my mind when I read that first issue. So excited to see what Rucka, Sharpe and Sicaira have in store for us. – Kelsey
- *fingers crossed*, as “In Rucka we trust!”–Bob
- This is it! This is the one! Who better to bring Diana back to form than Greg Rucka and his team of incredible artists? I’ve heard really great things about this title from people who’ve gotten their paws on advanced copies, and if it’s as good as they say it is, we’re all in for a real treat! – Steve
GRIZZLY SHARK VS SEA BEAR – By Ryan Ottley
- IT HAS ARRIVED!!!!!!! The final confrontation we’ve been waiting for forEVER. Has the Grizzly Shark met its match in the Sea Bear?!?!?!?! I’M AM SO EXCITED TO FIND OUT. – Joey
- CHOMP! ROAR! – Steve
And that’s our Pull List for this week!!! If you happen to pick up any of these books, please join the conversation here or on twitter and let us know what you think! As we update the site with reviews and verdicts on these comics, we’d love to include your input!